Sunday, April 16, 2017

Thoughts On: "The Office"

I know what your first thought is - it's 2017, why are you talking about a show that ended 4 years ago?! Well, my friends..I actually am just now getting around to seeing it.

Go ahead, be shocked.

Honestly though, I don't really have a reason. I've seen a ton of episodes over the years, but this was the first time I sat down and watched them in order. 

Let's get started then, hmm?


My Favorite Episode(s):
1. The Christmas ones. Every. Single. One. 

2. The first Dundie's when Pam says "I feel God in this Chilis." It's so classic.

3. And Jim and Pam's wedding. That whole speech where Jim talks about the church being Plan A and all that..I swoon every single time.


My Favorite Relationships:
1. Pam and Dwight: 
Yup, you read that right. I love that by the end, she is the one he trusts so much - and she has such a soft spot for him. I felt like they needed each other.

2. Pam and Jim: 
OBVIOUSLY. It's like blasphemy if you watch the show and you don't root for them.

3. Phyllis and Bob Vance:
 Even when they're weirdly doing it in the bathroom at the restaurant. 
They look at each other like you want to be looked at by someone you love.

4. Oscar and Angela:
I guess this is mostly because of the end. They were everything the other didn't love (or didn't understand), but they needed each other and they never questioned it. They just jumped with both feet.


Characters I Didn't Like:
1. Meredith: everything about her is so sloppy.

 2. Jan: PSYCHO. And she cared SO little about Michael. If I said the B word on my blog, I'd say it about her.

3. Gabe: What an absolute CREEPER.

4. Ryan: Everything about him is pretentious. And he was never funny to me. I think if I met BJ Novak on the street, I'd probably trip him. I think that little of him.

5. Karen: she's the other woman. Why would I like her? (I also don't like her in Parks and Rec. She just isn't my favorite in general.)

6. Robert California: EW. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew.

7. Todd Packer: but I feel like that goes without saying.


My Favorite Characters (that aren't Jim and Pam):
1. KEVIN: HE IS THE BEST EVER

2. Stanley: His grumpy little self is my spirit animal.

3. Darryl: He just gets better and better as the episodes go by. And that final episode where he dances with everyone? LOVE.


Story Lines I Loved:
1. The lead up until Jim finally makes a move. YES. #praisehands
And then I'm glad for Jim and Pam's story after that too. How they continued to fight for each other - instead of giving up when it got hard.

2. Jim and Dwight at the end. Just becoming BFFS - like you knew they would.

3. Erin. I was super surprised at this one - I thought I was going to get annoyed with her after 10 minutes - but I'm so glad they kept her. She became her own person, she loved everyone so fiercely, and then she finally got to meet her parents at the end. That made me cry as well. So sweet.

4. Angela and Dwight - well, mostly just the end. His deceleration that he would love any child from anyone of her lovers (ha!). I cried. It was ridiculous. They belong together.

5. "Threat Level Midnight"..because, obviously. 


Story Line I Didn't Love:
1. Anything to do with Jan or Robert California. GO AWAY.

2. Andy acting like a jerk when Nellie came around and he was named manager. I And then promptly left for 3 months. I WAS ROOTING FOR YOU.

3. The cheating: Ryan and Kelly, Stanley and his wife, the Senator and Angela. It was just too much, and it wasn't funny.


Final Thoughts:

I'm actually a little upset that I'm sitting here wondering what I'm going to do now that I'm finished. I'm still pretty much #TeamParksAndRec - but..I kind of loved "The Office" as well. The characters fleshed out in such a real way. I felt like (most of the time) they had real problems with real struggles and solutions. And it wasn't this big group of conventionally beautiful or talented people. They were just a crew that really just loved each other. Maybe not always, but they were each other's biggest support systems at times. I liked that.


I'm glad I gave "The Office" the time of day, and I totally understand why it's so iconic and loved by so many people.

And fine..

INCLUDING ME. 
I loved it. I did.

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment