Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Book Review: "Why Not Me?" by Mindy Kaling


So, it turns out that I may not be done with this challenge - the 25 memoirs before I turn 26..because, I'd most likely consider Mindy's new book a memoir of sorts. I just may not complete the challenge before I turn 26. How about I give myself til the end of 2016..that might be easier. Anyway, we'll talk about that later.



From Goodreads.com: "In Why Not Me?, Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it’s falling in love at work, seeking new friendships in lonely places, attempting to be the first person in history to lose weight without any behavior modification whatsoever, or most important, believing that you have a place in Hollywood when you’re constantly reminded that no one looks like you.

Mindy turns the anxieties, the glamour, and the celebrations of her second coming-of-age into a laugh-out-loud funny collection of essays that anyone who’s ever been at a turning point in their life or career can relate to. And those who’ve never been at a turning point can skip to the parts where she talks about meeting Bradley Cooper."


First, I made the grave mistake of reading and not listening to the audio book of her first book, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?". Listening to this one in the car had me laughing out loud, cringing at some parts and scoffing in others. It brought the whole thing to life. I think I enjoyed it more hearing her read not only the book, but give background information along the way. You also get to hear B.J Novak (Mindy's real life bff) in parts. He's entertaining as well. 

Second, as I said, I laughed a lot. I also cringed a lot. And scoffed quite a bit. Mindy's brand of comedy makes me like her and dislike her at the same time. It really just depends on what she's talking about at the current moment. 

I really enjoyed her story of dating a White House Press Secretary (I think that was his title) and enjoying a behind the scenes look at the life and times of the President. And her commencement speech for Harvard Law (for the most part) towards the end of the book.

I did not enjoy her thoughts on her two weeks in a sorority. I have to keep reminding myself that I had a different sorority experience than most, but it really does sort of bug me when people have narrow views of what a sorority is, how it's run, and the whole "pay for friends" thing. When you aren't fully in something, you don't know what you're talking about.

I admire Mindy's confidence and her brassy attitude, but I also think she should mind what she says. At least some of the time. 


1// “I will leave you with one last piece of advice, which is: If you’ve got it, flaunt it. And if you don’t got it? Flaunt it. ’Cause what are we even doing here if we’re not flaunting it?” 

This is one that I really laughed at, but it's also a bit thought provoking. It kind of goes along with the old saying "if you don't love yourself, no one else will". I think everyone has days (weeks, months, years) where they aren't 100% in love with who they are (which is totally fine), but we forget that we're it. We're the only one of us..and why shouldn't that be celebrated?

2// "But my secret is: even though I wish I could be thin, and that I could have the ease of lifestyle that I associate with being thin, I don’t wish for it with all of my heart. Because my heart is reserved for way more important things.”  

I wish this was my thought process on more than one occasion. In fact, I wish that was my very first instinct. It's not, most days..but, at the end of the day, I do know there are more important things. And that's what my heart is really, truly super obsessed with..not the pounds or the curves or the way my jeans don't fit some days. It really isn't that important. 

3// “Work hard, know your shit, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine.” 

You will.


I don't think you should read it. I think you should listen to it, number one. It'll make the whole thing a lot more enjoyable. Think of it as "me time".

Second, I think you should read it because it's funny. Because Mindy says things you aren't willing to say yourself, and she (although this is really not that true) is a real person. She isn't going to give you bullshit, and I like that about her. 

It's a short book that keeps you interested and gives you something to chuckle about during the day..what more could you want? In fact, maybe save it for a summer, read by the beach read. That sounds really nice.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment