Monday, February 15, 2016

At the Movies: Thoughts On "How To Be Single"


Hi there friends! I had every intention of getting things accomplished tonight, but I'm in a weird headspace after a super long day at work. So, I thought I'd talk about "How to Be Single" instead!


Let's get right to it:

1// It really has no plot or character development.
I mean, if you're going to this movie for Oscar winning performances, you're out of luck, my friends. BUT, there are some fabulous comedic presences: Rebel Wilson, Damon Wayans Jr, Anders Holm (hey boy hey), Jason Mantzoukas (who plays a weirdo so SO well), and Colin Jost (my favorite part of Weekend Update!). So, just go for the fun of it, okay?

2// I don't understand everyone's facination with Dakota Johnson.
Or Dakota Fanning according to my best friend..who couldn't remember her name. I find her awkward and boring. Also, she has an odd hair cut:


Is she 10? Maybe it's the 50 Shades of Grey thing, but I don't get it.

3// Leslie Mann does crazy so SO well.
She plays Dakota's big sister - who, after delivering babies for a living decides she needs her own - she uses a sperm bank and finds true love whist pregnant. And the boyfriend is totally cool with said crazy pregnant lady (who says a million times that you shouldn't call a pregnant woman crazy..which, for some reason I know to be a true thing) and said baby (the man, who is like 10 years Leslie's junior) actually says "who wouldn't want to stay home all day and hang with a baby?! I never have to work again". The theater literally erupted in "aww's"..it was cheese ball.  I mean, who could have predicted that plot twist? Everyone, the answer is everyone. I really don't think it would happen in real life. Like at all.

4// Why is there always a kooky best friend?
Rebel plays Dakota's "side kick". Or the other way around, I can't exactly tell. And I sat there wondering why there always has to be this outrageous personality next to the shy, hipster girl?! (there's always a hipster girl too..) Why can't people have real personalities? Why can't they both be chill and have a good personality and be funny? They don't have to be outrageous all the time, Hollywood. So, quit it.


5// The ending is real life.
You're sitting there for two hours and guessing every single plot twist (is it really called a twist outside of horror movies? Get back to me...) and then it lays it on you. She doesn't end up with the dude. Or, in her case, the three dudes vying for her attention in the movie. She ends up (*SPOILER ALERT*) finding something she's passionate about (hiking the Grand Canyon) and going to do it..because, early on in the movie, she exclaims that there are too many things she says she wants to do but never does.

And that's where I am in life. Choosing the solo adventures - or trying to - because that has to be better than doing nothing your entire life. It has to be.


Why you should see it:
1// Rebel Wilson.
2// It kind of gives you one side of being single. The side that's featured in brilliant cinematographies such as "He's Just Not That Into You", "Valentine's Day" and "New Year's Eve". If you like that kind of thing.
3// Girl power. Rebel, Leslie and Dakota are there for each other in every situation and say what needs to be said, even if it's hard to say. That's important in friendships.
4// And cute boys. You know I'll always let you know when there are cute dudes in films ;)


There you have it, amigos. Not the cinematic masterpiece of our age, but if you're wanting something fun to do on your girls night out - I'd go for it. It'll make you laugh, and make you thankful for your solo time. Because, no matter how much I hate other people saying it - being single isn't always the worst. And it's beneficial in being a real adult. Finding out who you are alone is something someone can never take away from you.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment