Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Book Review: "The Last Letter from Your Lover" by Jojo Moyes


Today's review is coming straight from my bed. I'm feeling under the weather today, so I'm using it as time to relax and get back out there again tomorrow. Also, my bed would have missed me if I had gone to work, and we really can't have that..can we?

That being said, today's review is of:



This is via Goodreads.com: "It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband. 

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance."


A friend of mine asked if I wanted to join her book club, and this was the first book we read. Meeting with the girls to discuss the book made me super geek out, and I loved it. I definitely want to continue book club.

As for my thoughts on it - I loved it. The characters are interesting, the scenery is from another era (one of glitz, heroics and glamour), and it's both relatable (we all want our own happy ending) and believable. Jojo is a fantastic writer. I haven't disliked anything yet.

I found myself immersed in the whole scene and also totally caught off guard at the twists. Which, is nothing new - I'm always so wrapped up in a story (whether it's a book, tv show or movie) that I almost never know the ending - unless it's something totally stupid and cheesy. Those I guess pretty soon after starting.

But that's the beauty of both books I've read of Jojo's (this and "Me Before You" - read my review of that HERE!) - she does romance and carries you off into this world where you know everything is going to work out EXACTLY how you think it will and then BAM, it changes. Don't fret though, my friends, it does work out. Just maybe not how you want it to..ala "500 Days of Summer".


1// “She didn't talk about it: if this past year has taught her one thing, it is to live in the present. She immersed herself in every moment, refusing to cloud it by considering the cost. The fall would come - it always did - but she usually collected enough memories to cushion it a little.”  

I realize that saying that I like a quote that screams "THIS GLASS IS HALF FULL ALWAYS" probably isn't the best way to start, but - what I see from it is this: there will be crashes. There will be bumps and bruises and times when you can't breathe. But, you're never far from light. From good times, from things that make you alive. That's all. And it gives you that extra push to find your way back again. If you choose to do so.

2// “He talked to her in the way that people tell lifelong secrets to fellow passengers in railway carriages: an unburdened intimacy, resting on the unspoken understanding that they were unlikely to meet again.” 

Isn't that the truth? Sometimes strangers know the most lovely things about you - the things you're afraid to tell other people..because the only way you disclose them is if you're never going to see that person again. Because that's safer than being vulnerable. But then again, all it takes is one person..

3// “I was once told by someone wise that writing is perilous as you cannot always guarantee your words will be read in the spirit in which they were written.” 

So much truth. So much.


1. Jojo Moyes knows how to write a story. Plain and simple.
2. It has something for..most people. Romance, intrigue, well written characters, travel.
3. And definitely read if you're a "Mad Men" fan. I can so picture John Hamm as the husband, and January Jones as Jennifer - but I can't picture "B". Not yet. I'll have to get back to you. Anyway, it's set in the same time period. So if you enjoy that, I'd definitely recommend.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment