Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Book Review: "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell


Oh, hey. It's been a while, hasn't it? Life has taken over. I haven't stopped reading though - and this one is just my latest love.



Courtesy of Goodreads.com: "Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.
Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters."


Sheesh, Rowell sure knows how to write a story..am I right, or am I right? I'm right, obviously. 

Simon Snow is actually a play on the Harry Potter world - and was first mentioned in her other book, "Fangirl" (read my review HERE!) Simon is the obsession of the main character in that lovely story, and I think there was so much cry for Simon's story to be told that Rainbow felt she had to write it. (I'm speculating here..)

First, I loved it. I listened to it instead of read - which, I highly recommend because the voice actor was also awesome - and I was wrapped up in it within 30 seconds. Her characters are bright, funny, thought out, and maybe a little cliche - but never boring. 

It's an adventure, a love story, a comedy - with a touch of darkness in it - so something for everyone. It takes a minute or two to get into (as some great ones do..) but it flies high from then on. You'll love it..promise.


1// “You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.” 

Teenage melodrama at it's best, ladies and gentlemen. I think it's a great reminder though, for those young adults who read it. So many "kids" these days are having a hard time with their lives, and knowing that you get past this part of life is literally everything. That it gets better.

2// “He’s a book full of footnotes brought to life. He’s a jacket made of elbow patches.” 

The word swoon comes to mind..I love when people talk about other people like this. In ways you don't even think make sense..but you find yourself curled up in them. They feel good. They make you smile.

3// “You have too many friends,” she’ll say. “I’m pretty sure that’s not possible. And, anyway, I wouldn’t call them all ‘friends.’” “There are only so many hours in the day, Simon. Two, three people—that’s all any of us have time for.” “There are more people than that in your immediate family, Penny.” “I know. It’s a struggle.” 

That one just makes me laugh. Penny (Simon's best friend. The Hermione to his Harry.) is hilarious. She's spunky, smart and annoying as hell. I loved her. I loved this part of her story. #thestruggleisreal

4// “And sometimes holes want to get bigger, but Baz was wrong—sometimes they just want to be filled.” 

There's this whole scene where they're talking about areas in England where the Voldemort type character, the Insidious Humdrum (which, I still think is a terrible name), sucks out magic..anyways, I won't reveal anything - but they're talking about holes. How the creation of these holes disrupt life and create chaos. And it gets you thinking about how your react to holes in your life. How each time something creates a hole, you don't go looking to open it up more - you look to fill it. With another person..with another feeling..another high. I think your character and who you are as a human determines the type of thing you fill it with. It reveals more about your character than most things do. It gives you a sense of what's important. Some just want to be filled..


I've heard plenty of reviews that say its just "bad Harry Potter fan fiction". And they would be one opinion, the wrong one. I think it's difficult to open yourself up to something as a Harry Potter fan - you don't want to damage how it makes you feel, etc..and I totally get that. I sat there intently listening the entire time, and mostly forgot it's basis on Hogwarts, Harry and the whole deal..because Rowell is that good. She's that good at creating something, and I think it's worth it for you to read it. Give it a chance and get back to me..

I'll wait.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment