Tuesday, August 25, 2015

10 Things : Seasons 4-6 of Glee


Now, honestly, I got into "Glee" when everyone else did at the very beginning. I sat in front of my tv with my friends and sang along with every song I knew. I fell in love with the weirdos, the nerds, the brave - easily, because of my love of music. 

I stopped watching a few seasons in because, I'm sure, something else caught my eye or I wanted to have my Monday nights back - but recently, I picked back up where I left off..at season 4, and I learned a few things that I thought I'd share. 

*Be prepared for a few spoilers*

1// Life after high school is always hard.

Even if it's for a month or two, or a few years - those first moments after you're no longer under your parents roof can be the toughest. The best medicine for that hurt? Find your tribe. Find people that are struggling the same, and build a new life with them. You'll grow, and ultimately, it doesn't hurt as much as it did before.

2// The bad guy? He'll break your heart. Every time.

In season 4, we're introduced to Jake, Puck's half brother. Now, if you'll remember (and even if you've never seen the show) Puck is the renaissance "bad guy" at McKinley. He knocked up the virginal cheerleader, Quinn, in season 1 and caused all kinds of drama.

Jake's not quite that bad, but he's known for his "player" tendencies. And he starts dating the new Rachel, named Marley, and cleans up his act a bit (the things you do for love..) But he ultimately resorts to the "player" status once again and cheats.

I'm not saying that grace doesn't ultimately find the "bad guy" and he can't change, but 96.3534% of the time, people are going to be the same as they were. Rome wasn't built in a day, and a bad guy isn't going to change right out of the gate. So I'd stay away..no matter how good looking.

(he is so good looking..)

And while we're on the subject..

3// Cheating never stays a secret for long.

I always find it really sort of ironic or comical when those who have cheated are found out and act like they didn't know they could be found out. Whether it be that you tell the person yourself (out of guilt), someone else tells on you, or you are caught red handed - someone always, always, always finds out. It's better to break up than to carry on something you know will see the light of day eventually.

4// If you're not ready to get married, don't.

I think in this day and age, everyone feels the need to get married young and to get married rightthisverysecond or they'll turn into pumpkin or something. Which, you know, isn't true. Take it from the Supremes who said "you can't hurry love..no matter how long it takes."

You shouldn't get married because someone else is. You shouldn't get married if you'll be alone for the rest of your life. And you definitely shouldn't get married if the whole thing stresses you out and you run away (i.e. Miss Pilsbury running from her wedding to Mr. Shoe in season 4). Trust, it'll happen how, when it's supposed to, and with whom it's supposed to. You can't hurry love.

5// The Beatles are always a good idea.

If you can't get on board with that, I'll have to reconsider our musical friendship. I'm sorry..that I'm not sorry. #Beatles4Life


6// Grief is grief. And it never gets easier.

Cory Monteith, otherwise known as Finn Hudson, died of a drug overdose in the middle of season 4. Their tribute, "The Quarterback" was an episode I couldn't watch. The producers and writers of the show decided against revealing how Finn died - and I believe that to be a kindness.

Losing a beloved character on a TV show will never compare to losing someone in real life - no matter what fans say. Losing Sirius or Dumbledore or Augustus will never compare to losing my grandfather. My uncle.

But sitting there watching the show, you could see that it was a very real grieving process being played out on screen. Lea Michelle (Rachel Berry) and Cory were together not only on the show, but in real life too - and it seemed like those emotions and those feelings were in every scene after "The Quarterback". And from then on, he was there. He was a big part of the beginning and middle, but not the end - and they not only had to deal with that in real life, but in the show. Real tears were shed. Real memories were replayed. And it was never fake. It was all real.

And maybe it never gets easier, you just start to remember more of how they made your life better - instead of how much it hurt when they left. And then you get up the next day and do it all over again.

7// Take chances.

Thankfully, with the way God has made life, we are offered choices. Offered chances to do things and change our lives, in big and little ways. Sometimes we take them and it's at the expense of something we love, and that love..diminishes. And sometimes that forces us to do something else, quickly. Sometimes it means sitting in a room, crying, keeping things close to the vest, and then picking yourself up when you're ready.

Bad/tough/hard things happening isn't ever a reason for you to stop taking chances or making choices. You don't get to stop living when those things happen. You get to go through, pick up better armor on the way, and live.

8// The arts are always a positive thing for schools.

Like I didn't already know that - ha. 

In the beginning of season 6, Sue Sylvester takes all arts out of McKinley - making it more about her (as usual), and less about the welfare of the kids. I realize that every human being isn't involved in the arts, I do - but I know that having the option and variety will involve more people than it will deter. Knowing that you have the option of fitting in somewhere is always a good thing, especially in high school. High school is hard enough without that.


Get involved. You'll thank me for it.

9// Sometimes break ups should stay broken. Sometimes they shouldn't.

It really should not come as a surprise that in a TV show about high schoolers (and eventual college freshman) that they break up and get back together in a matter of episodes. Being privy to that though, I found myself wondering why some people rekindle love, and some don't.

It's a personal choice. Do they make you better? Does their presence give you anxiety or frustration more often than not? Can you be complete on your own with them? I think you have to decide that for yourself. But never, ever feel like you should get back with someone because you'll afraid of being alone. That's never a good idea.

10// Know that you'll always have a home.

Throughout my life, I've lived in 4 states and one country, and have lived in 15 different homes. When people ask me where I grew up, I have always had a hard time giving them an answer. I don't see this as a bad thing. I've always had a home.

Whether home is your family, a corner of a library, or a choir room in your high school - you should always known you belong somewhere. And maybe, you haven't found that quite yet, and that's okay. You will. Eventually you'll walk into a room or off a plane or meet someone's eyes - and suddenly, you'll know you're home.


Whether you agree with the politics of Glee or not. Whether you like music or not. Whether you believe that high school was the best days of your life or not, I believe you can learn something from this little show. I'm glad I watched it again.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment