Wednesday, August 12, 2015

"Know Yourself, Know Your Worth"

This week I have been temporarily filling in for an office while their normal receptionist is on vacation. You gotta do what you gotta do, right? And while most have been kind and helpful, there are some that treat me as though I am less. You know, since I won't be around later. 

And as I was re-stocking the break room with refreshments, after one such person was unkind. I don't know if it was because she was exerting some sort of "power" or she really isn't so nice - but I tried to just pull myself into what I was doing - stocking sodas. And when I did, I saw this:


And I thought to myself how many times God speaks to me through rap songs. Through strangers. Through things that don't quite add up to "Christianity". (I say that in quotes because..sarcasm.) Does that ever happen to anyone else? Probably not.

And through all of the weird things that have been happening in life lately, I had to smile. I had to laugh at the fact that God would use Drake to get something through to me (uh, not that Drake is a bad guy or isn't a Christian. That's up to him. That's none of my business). But I guess that's the true meaning of "God can use anyone" - like in 1st Peter 4:10 when Paul says "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in it's various forms."

And ever since that first day, in that first few hours of the job - I've been thinking about "know yourself, know your worth." Not only in the literal sense, right then and there when someone was being mean to me - but in the every day sense. 

Your 20's are supposedly about finding yourself. Finding out what you like, who you want to surround yourself with..all of that jazz. It's both a gift and a curse. A way to grow and a way to stay the same. You're blessed with enough time to change, and maybe it's not just reserved for your 20's. I wouldn't know. 

And through this odd little experience with rap lyrics, I've been given the opportunity to show that growth and change - and know the meaning of knowing who I am and what I'm capable of. That I'm not the person that she believes me to be, thankfully. 

Strangers don't change me.
Strangers don't change my worth.

God changes me.
God is the only one who gives me worth.

Know you, know your worth and know Him.
That's all. The End. 

And thank the Lord for Drake, y'all -
C

No comments:

Post a Comment