Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Long Or Short - what's better?

There comes a time in most women's lives when they cut their hair short. Don't tell me you haven't noticed. When a woman becomes a certain age, she decides the long hair has to go and the short hair is "less to deal with in the morning" - because of kids and what not. 

My day came before I thought it would  (and WAY BEFORE I had kids..). And I definitely thought I wouldn't ever be that person. I thought my hair was going to be long forever - but after seeing Michelle Williams ROCK it..I had to do it.


I love it even more on her. 

A change of relationship status came a few weeks later, and I wondered if that had anything to do with it. And after, as a joke, downloading a dating app - and putting my short hair picture up (after getting likes from the long haired one), and getting no likes for the short haired one. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I wondered - do men dislike short hair?

I think the short answer is yes. They want you to be feminine, princess-y and long hair represents that. It represents being different from them - although, the man bun is in style right now. (which I totally don't understand. I'm looking at you, Matt Damon.)

I think you're totally wrong men. 


I think your ego isn't going to be affected by my hair. I don't think they'll take your man card away. I don't think anyone will think you're hanging out with a lesbian (uh, also something I don't get. Just like the man bun doesn't mean you're gay.) And it's frustrating to think that my "attractiveness" is based on something that will grow back. That's right, IT'LL GROW BACK

I didn't ask any man's approval for what I did. I asked my (very gay) hair dresser if he approved (you know, face shape and all that..) and he cut it before I could even say a thing. That's how excited he was about it! And I don't regret it.

I don't. 

I just want it out there in the world that short hair is beautiful too. That it won't reflect anything about you, boys. It just means I needed a change - and complaining that I didn't ask your opinion, or even thinking that I had to - totally goes against you saying you want an independent woman. 

I am all for the man being the leader of the house, as it says in the Bible. Be a leader. Lead this world because that's what you're supposed to do, but my hair is out of your jurisdiction. It just is. Just like my disgust at the man bun, bro tanks, and men wearing flip flops doesn't matter. You'll do whatever you want to do, and that's fine. Just let me to me too.

This is not a feminist rant, by the way. I'm just as exhausted with feminism as you are. I just want it out in the world that I didn't have to ask, it's fun (and less time in the shower = more time with you..by the way), and I just hope that there are some men out there that can hang. That can hang with a woman who does what she wants, because that's how she's always done things. That's how she was raised. And that's how she wants to live life. That doesn't mean she doesn't want you - she does - she just wants to live life by her own rules. Jump on that train - that's the kind of woman you want. She's just a little different.

Isn't that what everyone tells you to be? Different? 

I'm sticking with it. Regardless of it's implications. My hair cut means that I don't give a crap what you think. It means I can be edgy and a bad ass if I really want to - but it also means I can be feminine and soft as well. It's all there - you just have to go past the outside.

Give short hair a chance, people. Give long hair a chance. Give the man bun a chance. No wait, don't do that..


You do you, boo boo. 
And want to know something? My 5 year old nephew said he liked it - so that's definitely one reason to stick with it.

C

(P.s. I found THIS ARTICLE on how women are treated now that they have short hair vs how they were treated with long hair interesting!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment