Monday, July 20, 2015

Movie Review: "Trainwreck"


Last night I saw the 10:30 showing of "Trainwreck" (uh, waaay past my bed time!) - I had been waiting and waiting for months for this one to come out and I'd like to say a few things! *SPOILERS AHEAD*.


"Trainwreck" stars Amy Schumer, Bill Hader, Tilda Swinton, Brie Larson, and a host of sports figures - most prominently, LeBron James.

1// I was really kind of nervous that this one would be the kind of movie that all the funny parts were in the trailer. And it wasn't. I mean, it actually created a story and didn't totally rely on the funny..which I appreciated.

2// This is my first real time spent with Amy Schumer. I've seen interviews and such, but never any of her stand up or videos. Amy is crass and crude. Homegirl loves a good racist joke and loves having sex. She is funny though. She's just another kind of funny..one that isn't always my cup of tea. I can respect a woman who wants to make her way in a "boys club" type of world though. Those are the women that I can rally behind.

3// Bill Hader though? LOVED HIM. The Bill Hader that I see in my mind looks like this:


the terrible visor, the long hair - everything about it is bad (except I totally love "Hot Rod". It's so weird, it's brilliant). But Bill, he looks a little hunkier in this one:


He's a sports doctor AND a romantic. That's the Bill Hader I want in my life.

4// TOO MANY BUTTS. I'm not kidding. I saw too many man butts in this one. If we're talking about butts though, John Cena's is massive. I mean, everything about that dude is massive..but geez louise. (sorry mom)

5// I have major love for LeBron James in this one. MAJOR. His comedic timing is actually fairly solid, which I was kind of surprised to see - and he raps "Gold Digger" at one point - which, if I'm being totally honest, is one of my favorite songs. It's that guilty pleasure song.


And his friendship with Bill is adorable. He's the ultimate best friend - a good sounding board, and he's very protective when Amy comes around. He's the kind of friend you want in your corner.

6// I'm not a fan of Tilda Swinton. Try and recognize her for one, but her character was mean, ugly and not fun.

7// Amar'e Stoudemire has terrible comedic timing 97% of this movie. He's only in a few scenes, but he doesn't quite have the comedic chops that LeBron magically has. The man is an epic dresser though.. 


#fashionsenseonfleek

8// I will never be a fan of the girl who pretends to hate sports. Amy's character is brought into this world of sports and pretends that anyone who loves sports is not intelligent, unrealistic and stupid. Get over yourself. 


9// The last scene is EPIC
And I've tried for the last 10 minutes to find a video of it or a picture, but none could be found. Here's them talking about it though..


It's THE BEST.

10// I can totally sympathize with Amy's character in a few ways. She puts up walls to keep people from getting too close because she's been hurt in the past sort of thing. And she rejects the normal life - the white picket fence, the husband, the 2.5 babies..because honestly? She's scared it won't happen for her. That she'll continue on this road and nothing will change. Giving people the chance to get to know you is the first step - and I just wanted to be like "let people in!" when I was sitting in the theater, but it was mostly for my sake. That I need to as well. I feel you girl. 

All in all, I would probably give it a B-. It had some really funny, original content - but it is a Judd Apatow produced movie (think Bridesmaids, Superbad, and 40 Year Old Virgin..) so there's a definite constant crudeness. I could have done without some of it, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I didn't laugh. I laughed hard..but it's not going to be one that finds itself on my DVD shelf someday. 

I'd see it if you're a fan of Amy, a fan of that kind of humor or if you're really into sports figures. There's quite a few of those in there (including Tony Romo..who's just as BORING on screen as he is in real life) but I wouldn't see it if you can't handle the crudeness. Some people just can't.

Have a great week!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment